Monday, February 19, 2007

Emotional Response

I'm feeling kind of happy this morning. My wife picked up my latest short story (on its way to Litopia's next competition - It seemed like a good idea at the time), and for the very first time she circled only one sentence. She had no spelling, grammar, word choice, abstractions, or confusing corrections.

Instead she questioned just one line... and why am I so happy about this?

We were sat at either end of the dining table eating strawberries. I’d pluck them from my bowl and suckle at the ends like a baby on a teat as she looked on.

She felt that for a six year old this was a too erotic. It made her uncomfortable! Uncomfortable! Excellent!

For the first time I've actually got someone feeling some emotion (expressed immediately back to me that feels tangible between us) over my prose. Obviously, she didn't feel it was right to stay in, but for that very specific reason I know it is right for the piece.

Can I keep this up?

No comments: