Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Charolastra's Treasure 2

As sequels go, it's a very typical premise...

Back in June I brought to you the Secret of Charolastra's Treasure, a single idea on emotional content and context. Now, she's come up with a gem of a discovery - research - and something in particular for the children's market that I wouldn't have stumbled upon on my own: Children as Audience.

This is indispensable stuff seeing as I'm intent on writing a children's novel for my final project this year (oh, I haven't written anything of length for such a long time, I'm afraid).

As an aside note, Sequels and second parts have raised plenty of discussions between my brother and I in the past in response to advertising that marks the difference between what should be termed a sequel and what should be termed part or chapter two/three/four, etc.

It's a similar rub to the misuse by journos and marketers of the word "epic" which didn't originally mean lots of people fighting in the woods/desert/mountain/sea. Neither did it mean a long and arduous journey - alas we subvert the true meaning of something and make it our own.

Anyhoo, a sequel is another story using the same characters (main characters at least) but where the story does not link up with the first. The situation and badguys are different. The Spiderman films, X-Men, 48 Hours, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, etc. These are all examples of sequels. You can watch one without need to have watched any of the others and they standalone.

Star Wars does not consist of sequels. Neither does Lord of the Rings - I do get upset when people describe them as such. Erm... sorry, gone off on one - I only raise this to point out that Charolastra's treasure (the first one from June) is completely separate from this latest topic... I've lost you haven't I?!

1 comment:

MG said...

Heh heh. I've got one more, just for you. Try hard to connect with the boy you once were. From what I know of you, that kid isn't too far below the surface. Not superficially but emotionally - try to feel again what you felt when you were young.

That's where the real stories are. That's where you will connect with your audience. Research can give you a pointer but at some stage you gotta feel it.