Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This week I didn't feel focused upon any of the tasks. I was agitated, in an overtly happy mood, and was trying (and failing) to keep my humour restrained. I grew overtly stressed when other members of the group took topic off at a tangent or didn't understand the task at hand: to identify behavioural responses - not to argue that they wouldn't respond in that manner.

I think my irritability had stemmed from the stress of having to deal with unruly teenagers in one of the borough's quieter libraries, and the resultant adrenaline that I hadn't been able to get rid of before going along to the lesson.

I identified the behaviours fairly well, and am able to distinguish between the way in which things are said - the delivery - and the message itself - the meaning behind whatever tone is prescribed to it.

I specifically took away from the group an awareness of my own initial reactions. This, I think, is where the past few weeks have been leading - towards the fact that even if you cannot treat someone with unconditional positive regard, if you cannot remove yourself from the subjectivity of the way in which they have acted, what they have said, or who you perceive them to be, at the very least, measure your own response. In light of my attitude in the first half of the lesson I believe recognition of one's behaviour and responses is one of the more important tools since it goes hand in hand with empathy.

No comments: